Friday, March 2, 2012

Origami and some Powerpoint Nursery Art

So I decided to go a cheaper route for the mobile over the changing table/dresser. I'm going to put up a shelf above it and figured I can attach a mobile to it to occupy our little one's time while it's diaper is being changed. I found this really cute origami crane mobile on Etsy (link here). I thought it would be fun to make my own. I thought it would be fun to do the birds out of a math book since my husband is an engineer and who knows it could make our baby better at math in the long run! :) I got a math solutions textbook for free on the Buckley Classifieds on Facebook. I love Buckley Classifieds by the way!

I was looking at how to fold an origami crane and decided that it was too advanced/difficult/much time to make. I looked around on the same site and came across this simple cute origami pigeon. I'm calling them sparrows since they live in the woods and pigeons are annoying.

To cut out the paper for folding, I used this plumbing advertisement magnet that was attached to my phone book as a template. It was a perfect square which is what I needed and I'm lazy, lol.

Math text book with the square template I used for cutting (the plumber ad). It worked out great!

The instructions on the website were really easy to follow. After making about 3 of them I no longer needed the instructions and busted out 10 of these little peeps.

Wings up as shown in the origami directions.

I decided to fold the wings down a bit since this gives the baby more to look at from below.
I'm thinking about adding some numbers to their wings with a red and white marker since those are the first colors a baby sees. Maybe number each bird from 1-10. I'll attach these to a small/medium embroidery hoop (haven't got that yet) with some string like my other mobile. I can't put it up until I have the changing table/dresser or the shelf up in the nursery. I'll post a picture once it's put together and up! :)




I've also been working on some art to hang up in the nursery. I looked around on the internet for some good quotes and sent them to my husband to see which ones he liked the most. I did 2 of them last night in Microsoft Office PowerPoint. I think they came out pretty good. The bunny picture was found on Pinterest which I used as a background to the Dr. Seuss quote. The background for other quote which was used in The Help movie is from Microsoft Office clip art when you search "bird". LOL. It was actually the first thing that popped up and I thought it was cute. I wanted to add a little more color to this one so I added the reddish brown color.

I have 2 more to do, one with a Winnie the Pooh quote "Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." I'm not sure what quote I'm going to do for the last one yet. All the prints are done with my new Canon printer that I got from my husband for Christmas last year. I love it! The frames are $1.99 at IKEA.

2 Frames above aren't done yet.

Close up on Dr. Seuss quote one.

Close up of The Help quote. :)
That's all I have for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment