Saturday, February 11, 2012

First Post: Woodland themed nursery with a DIY mobile

So I'm not the best writer but I thought this might be a fun thing to do on the side. My husband is currently deployed (he'll be gone for about 6 months) and I'm 23 weeks pregnant at the moment. He left for training about a month ago and since I don't work I have some time on my hands. I keep pretty busy between caring for our now 5 pets (we recently re-homed one of our kitties Simba), keeping the house clean, attending social events when I can, and preparing for baby. I love doing crafts, drawing, painting, reading, watching movies, etc.

We don't know what the sex of our baby is yet since it did not cooperate during the last ultrasound so we are keeping everything neutral for now. Honestly, it'll probably stay that way unless they are pretty sure one what the sex is. I have 2 more ultrasounds coming up, one at the end of the month. We're doing a whimsical woodland theme for the nursery. It works great since we both love the outdoors, animals, and we don't have to paint the nursery (haha). The room that we're putting the nursery in was the office when we first moved here and is a nice shade of green.

Some pictures of the nursery as of right now, it's pretty empty/small.

This is a view of the room from the door.
 I LOVE this rocking chair/recliner that I got as a Christmas gift from my in-laws. It's super comfy. I painted the picture above the chair. I'm thinking about maybe painting another picture with a bird's nest with eggs or maybe some other woodland theme.
 Other side of the nursery looking at the entrance, shelves are from IKEA. My husband's model airplanes are still on the top shelf.
 Changing table/dresser is going on left, crib next to it once I get them.
 Other wall across from crib/changing table, my dog Angel sniffing around

I started decorating the IKEA shelf. Most of these items I either had laying around the house or got them on the Air Force Base classifieds.

The gnome is probably not staying up there, LOL. He's probably going on the shelf above the changing table. He's just chilling up there for now. I also got a bunch of pine cones up there which I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet. I'm probably going to put them in a glass jar/vase or find some fun craft to do with them.
I love Jan Brett's books, they are illustrated so beautifully!
I painted the apple at a pottery place. These three books are recorded with my husband's voice reading them.


 Every since I found out I was pregnant I've been scouring the internet for nursery ideas, fun things to decorate, etc. I found this great felt woodland creature pattern set on Etsy. I bought both of the patterns with the idea that these would make a great mobile. The Etsy store link for both patterns are here and here. I've never really done felt creatures before and had a fellow AF wife help me get started. She made the acorn and started the cream owl below, I did the rest. These guys took me like an hour each, which includes cutting out the felt. I made some variations to the pattern and overall I'm pretty happy with them.



This one is my favorite :)




The nose is a little messed up but at this point I didn't care to start it over, LOL.

I also got lazy and made this owl sleepy since those eyes are easier.

 



For the actual mobile part, I toyed with the idea of hanging them from a tree branch or putting them on hoops. I decided that hanging up hoops would probably be easier than a whole branch, especially since I'm either hanging it up by myself or have to enlist help. I found these awesome branch wreaths at JoAnn Fabrics in different sizes and thought they would work perfectly! I bought some wired twine at Michael's to tie the 2 wreaths together and I'll use it to hang up the mobile. I used one strand of the flossing I used for the felt animals to hang them on the wreaths. I wanted to use fishing line but couldn't find any and I decided that regular string would work. I placed the string so they are somewhat tilted down so the baby can see them. I'm waiting on the crib to arrive before I install the mobile for placement purposes. I'll post more pictures once it's actually put up since it's hard to take pictures of while holding it.

I'll post more later. I've done burp cloths, baby blocks, and covered moss over some frames for the room so far. I think I'm going to incorporate the felt woodland creatures some more in the room too, like bigger stuffed animals or some hanging prints. :)


Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below. I think most of it is self explanatory. I just know the basics of sewing so if I can do the above things, you can!

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! LOVE how the room's all coming together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!!! :) It's pretty exciting to see it come together.

    ReplyDelete