Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baby Blocks

So after acquiring some fabric scraps/left overs from the burp cloths and the Christmas stockings I made the previous year, I decided to construct some baby toy blocks that I found on Pinterest. By the way I am totally addicted to this site for all DIY as well as organizing projects I've found on Google. My Pinterest site is http://pinterest.com/trulytree/ if you are interested in checking it out. To add a texture element to the blocks, I bought a remnant of some dimpled minky fabric that I found at JoAnn Fabrics. I found the ribbon on sale at Michaels.



The baby toy block tutorial can be found here. I found these blocks to be quite enormous once I finished the first one. The instructions weren't hard to follow but it did take like an hour to do the first one since I was being slow and careful. After I made the first block, I told a friend who was doing them about how huge they were. She made some with a similar tutorial and hers were about an inch smaller than mine. I decided to make 2 large blocks, took off an inch for the medium sized blocks, and then another inch smaller for the smallest blocks.  Overall I think they came out pretty good.

You can see the different sizes here.

This is what I'm most unhappy about. I tried doing a slip stitch on one of the blocks but I have a big feeling as soon as that puppy gets washed it is falling apart. Rather having all 6 fall apart and waste my time, I did an overcast stitch on the rest to close them up.

My dog Angel kept thinking maybe they were her toys and that I made them for her lol. She kept looking at me like, can I play with them?

The blocks all stacked up.
Because of the ribbon loops, I can add those cute plastic rings to them and either add it to the baby gym I have or maybe even a car seat I suppose. I guess the rings might make the blocks easier to pick up as well.

Well that's all I've done so far, I'll try to take pictures for each of the different steps from now on. I plan to do a nursing cover, some bigger woodland creatures, or some hanging prints with quotes on them next. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment