Sunday, February 12, 2012

Burp Cloths and Mossy Frames

This blog post is going to be pretty short compared to the first one. So one of my friends who is also pregnant made some burp cloths and I thought it would be fun to make them as well. I found a blog with a tutorial on making them. The link for the tutorial is here. Her's are super cute, I love the cupcake pattern. I had a hard time finding a gender neutral pattern while still trying to go with the woodland theme. I made 12 of them total (based on the amount of burp cloths that Babies R Us recommended). These are how mine came out. :)


My husband and I picked out 4 beautiful pictures on Etsy that initially set our nursery theme. The store link is here. The shop had a great deal where it was buy one get one free at the time. I loved the light pastel colors of her pictures and thought they would go great in a nursery. We picked out these pictures:



The bird pictures will go on the outside facing into each other while the mushroom and twiggy stuff will be in between them. When my husband and I were looking for decent priced frames, we had a hard time finding the 2 different sizes (8X8 and 8X10) in the same kind of frame. We picked these out before he left by the way. Anyhow we decided on some white plain frames and told him I could probably do something with them to make them more woodsy like putting moss on them or maybe stones.

I found some moss that was attached to some netting so it was in the form of a sheet. I bought this since I figured it would be easier to work with and less messy. Unfortunately, after taking it out of the package I found that it had a terrible chemical smell. I had to open the sliding door to ventilate the room while I was hot gluing the stuff to the frames. The moss kept falling off the netting so it ended up making a big mess. I put the frames out in the garage to air out since I didn't want the baby's room to smell like all those chemicals.

A friend on Facebook mentioned that Mod Podge clear coat spray would help keep the moss intact while keeping the look of the frames. I gave it about 3 coats of that and it's helped quite a bit with the mess. They are still out in the garage since the Mod Podge didn't smell too great either, haha. They are still in the garage currently since I want to hang them up above the crib.




I'll post a picture of the finished product once it's done. I figured I can give them all the time in the world to air out until I'm ready to put the pictures in the nursery.

That's it for now! Again as always let me know if you have any questions over anything. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment